Street Department Operator
Job Description: Under the general direction of the Street Supervisor, perform routine maintenance and repair on all city streets and surrounding areas; perform routine maintenance and/or repair on City vehicles; mow and weed eat assigned areas; operate heavy equipment to include backhoe, track hoe, dump truck, etc.; some heavy lifting required.
Benefits: 100% Paid Health Insurance for Employee; 60% Paid Health Insurance for Family; Cafeteria Plan for Supplemental Insurance Available; Enrolment in Arkansas Employee Retirement Plan; Paid Vacation and Sick Leave.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operates hand and power tools to cut grass and brush from ditches and street right-of-way.
- Prepares road surface for repair to include, digging out old material, spreads asphalt binder on areas being repaired, shovels asphalt from trucks, and levels areas with a rake.
- Operates hand tools to dig materials from street areas under repair, to move debris from catch basins and ditches, and to load materials onto trucks.
- Shovels gravel and other fill or surfacing materials from trucks to areas being repaired.
- Loads sand onto trucks and applies to ice- or snow-covered streets; clears roads after flood or storm damage.
- Cleans drainage ditches and storm drainpipes.
- Operate riding lawn mowers and weed eaters
- Operate heavy equipment to include backhoe, track hoe, dump truck, etc.
- Performs routine maintenance on City vehicles including checking oil, tire pressure, etc.
- Performs other than routine maintenance repair on City vehicles, to include but not limited to, rotation of tires, checking/repairing brakes, and other items, as qualified.
- Must operate all City vehicles in a safe and courteous manner.
- Handles construction projects by setting and picking up barricades, lane cones, warning signs, and directs traffic in and out of construction zone as needed.
- Maintains direct contact with supervisors of utility lines and other unusual features of areas before beginning any projects or excavations.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Posses a high school diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Must be a minimum of 18 year of age.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Arkansas Driver’s License before and during employment.
- Must be available if needed during inclement weather.
- Even if not on call, must answer City-issued cell phone at all times.